Summer - Around the World in 80 Days
This topic is based on a version of the book by Jules Verne. Please do not read the book before the topic!
Are you ready to take an epic journey across the globe in just eighty days?
This term we will build on children's understanding of countries and continents across the world as we explore the journey that Phileas Fogg took. We will look at the features of some of the places that he visited, exploring the similarities and differences between different groups and develop an understanding of rights and responsibilities. We will research other famous explorers to discover why they are well-known.
We will help Phileas Fogg or one of his companions by designing and making a bag that they would need to carry their belongings in. Also, within science, we will explore the concept of forces and movement.
In Geography, we will compare two places, New York and Worthing.
Questions we'll be asking:
- Who is Phileas Fogg?
- How are the countries and cultures that Phileas Fogg visits the same and different to the UK?
- How can we travel around the world?
- Do you know any other famous explorers? What are they famous for?
- If you were to travel around the world, what would you take with you?
- Where is New York City? What do you know about it?